|Q. What are the sawab and effects of roza on body?|
Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) Said
﴾ ياأيها الذين آمنوا كتب عليكم الصيام كما كتب على الذين من قبلكم لعلكم تتقون ﴿
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous. (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:183)
Abu Huraira (رضي الله عنه) reported Allah’s Messenger (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) as saying:
Every (good) deed of the son of Adam would be multiplied, a good deed receiving a tenfold to seven hundredfold reward. Allah, the Exalted and Majestic, has said: With the exception of fasting, for it is done for Me and I will give a reward for it, for one abandons his passion and food for My sake. There are two occasions of joy for one who fasts, joy when he breaks it, and joy when he meets his Lord, and the breath (of an observer of fast) is sweeter to Allah than the fragrance of musk. (Sahih Muslim 1151 e)
Muslims have successfully observed the spiritual cleansing of sawm for more than 14 centuries yet some people are doubtful about the effects of fasting on health.
Incorporating fasting into your daily routine can be a great way for your to give your health a boost.
Fasting has been shown to have many health benefits like:
1. Promotes blood sugar control by reducing insulin resistance thereby lowering risk of diabetes
2. Promotes better health by fighting oxidative stress and inflammation
3. Lowers risk of coronary heart disease, blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
4. Boosts brain function and prevents neurodegenerative disorders
5. Aids weight loss by limiting calorie intake and boosts metabolism
6. Increases levels of human growth hormone (HGH), an important protein hormone that plays a role in growth, metabolism, weight loss and muscle strength.
7. Reduces free radical cell damage
8. Delays aging and increase longevity
9. Prevents tumor/cancer development
10. Induces important cellular repair processes, such as removing waste material from cells.
11. Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
12. A detoxification process also occurs, because any toxins stored in the body’s fat are dissolved and removed from the body.
13. Higher levels of endorphins – “feel-good” hormones – are produced in the blood, which have a positive impact on mental well-being.
14. Destroys the old and damaged immune cells in mice and generates new ones.
15. Helps clear the skin and prevent acne
16. Fasting for self-enlightenment allows us to feel better both consciously and physically. With a lighter body and a clearer mind we become more aware and grateful for the things around us.
17. Ditch Bad Habits and develop spiritual, moral and social values
Research shows that fasting triggers a metabolic switch from glucose-based to ketone-based energy, with increased stress resistance, increased longevity, and a decreased incidence of diseases, including cancer and obesity.
As indicated in the Qur’an, fasting has been mentioned in previous scriptures also
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)
which shows its importance and predates its rediscovery by medical sciences.